* Labels and signs can help someone get around. The signs should be clear, have words and pictures that contrast with the background and placed slightly lower than normal as older people tend to look down.
* Remove mirrors- as they can cause confusion for the person with dementia and they may be distressed if they don't recognise themselves.
* Contrasting colours- on walls and floors, for doors and banisters so they stand out, on loo seats as dementia can affect how well someone can tell the difference between colours.
* Install safer flooring- try to avoid rugs or mats as people with dementia may think they are an object they have to step over increasing the likelihood of falls.
* Have better lighting- helps avoid confusion and reduces the risk of falls.